Friday, September 25, 2026

Bunny failed to roll over

うさぎのティナがゆっくり一回転 bunny rolliing over

一回転失敗 bunny missed to roll over

I favorited these videos on my first YouTube account. That was when favorites were public, which meant that Mei could have known about them. (I inferred from a related video on a video uploaded to my account that I linked to her that she had watched it: this was how recommended videos worked on early YouTube, they were the same recommendations for everyone who viewed a particular video.)

The bunny failing to roll over was supposed to be like me failing to pass the Japanese language proficiency test. Who thinks badly of the bunny for failing to roll over? The success has 3.3 likes per 1k views; the failure has 2.8 likes per 1k views. This level of difference is easily explained by other factors, like lighting or whether the bunny is facing the camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tortoise_and_the_Hare

Rabbit, bunny, and hare all refer to similar animals.

I don't excuse the hare for losing the race. I don't say that I don't excuse my failure, because it was really about Mei failing to learn Japanese fast enough to stay in Japan (so my failure made me similar to her). But the point is, whether being cute is an excuse for incompetence.

I don't think it is. When people think cuteness excuses incompetence, it makes other people assume that cute people will be incompetent. It leads to females hating other females, as seen in the office scene of Cutie Honey (2004) but also people thinking that someone is being treated badly only because they're cute, and so they favor them, etc.


Remember when people said I needed mental help because I implied that Greta Thunberg was aware of my existence? The consequence for things like my browser experiencing the vp9 bug on a game-related video after I listen to two Korean songs in a row is that I think that people I haven't talked to might have been informed that I exist. Actions have consequences.

I don't know if 饱饱兔 knows that I exist. The last character of this nickname (obviously not her real name) means 'bunny'. Note that the Chinese and literary Chinese Wikipedia articles both use this same character, instead of distinguishing between 'hare' and 'rabbit'. In her live stream which has been ongoing since I checked her account almost two hours ago at 20:00, there is a bunny doll in the background:


If she doesn't know I exist, I wish her the best and that I don't affect her life further, other than what would happen if people used this idea.

The variations in her video count, going from ~36 to ~30, then jumping to 48, then back to 28 before slowly rising again, make me wonder if she intends to communicate anything to me.

I first mentioned Xiaoyu because she had changed her Douyin name. She is not the only person who has made a big change to her name, and I don't know how common it is to do so. (Also, all of the videos from her that I downloaded in February and March are no longer available; this is a recent video from her.)

For example, the user with Douyin ID 79201612154 changed her display name from '@小羊人' to '@专门骗处男', and now '@小羊'. (Two very popular videos from her, with 1.5x as many likes as she has followers: 得逞, 好!)

And the user with Douyin ID nainaishen101 changed her display name from '@奈奈生' to '@特务兔', at some point between 08 Aug and 27 Aug. The first one matches her Douyin ID, so why would she change it? Google translates the second name to 'Agent Rabbit'.

If I wanted to be in a relationship with a Chinese person, I would have to learn Chinese. I won't try to learn Chinese unless someone with over 400k 1 million followers publicly shares this idea and starts a discussion about it (i.e. does not act in a way that causes people to ignore the message, which would mean I never learn they shared it), or people use this idea without that happening. Although I have watched or listened to several livestreams from 饱饱兔, I will not watch any more livestreams from anyone on Douyin unless people use this idea.

I have been checking the account of 饱饱兔 every day and I expect to continue to do that, as well as the account of 9玥、@199966a and her alt account 睡够了嘛👿 @60926178257, who has not had any activity after her video count decreased by ~10. I don't consider this to be an attempt to communicate: I am just doing the same thing. This is like NRZ-M signal encoding method: "a logical 1 is encoded as a transition, and a logical 0 is encoded as no transition." If I skipped a day, or stopped checking her account, it would be like a logical 1 in the signal. (A day or two ago, I went from checking people's accounts at midnight, to doing so at 20:00, but if this was supposed to signal that I am not doing anything, this post suggests that was a false or deceptive signal.)

So if I'm checking 饱饱兔's account every day, and I'm not checking someone else's, it's the same signal: a logical 0.

I have to mention that when I wrote the post titled Turtle and the rabbit in 2011, a month before I thought of this idea, I was also thinking of the enigmatic AI character from the novel, Rainbows End. Not all rabbits are cute and ineffective.

How to be effective? I just think of my own experience. Well, first, all my notes from 14 Sep 2026:

bookmarked comment, homeless [note: this]

Albis Rage of Angels, why deleted? Unskilled? Bad music? Elemental?

team-building exercise in basic training with planks. Poor social skills

"Remember when I was 22 years old and Mei wasn't replying to my emails"

Nessaja

"When you try to extrapolate from one data point"

"I shall resist the urge to post the question I just thought of, and am about to write:"
"Aliens or a supernatural entity (not specified due to community rules) cause all plastic diapers to vanish. As a parent or secondary caretaker of a young baby, how do you react?"

"Good job, substack"

night time nuclear test footage?

"It is night time and you are at home. Suddenly, through a closed window, it becomes as bright as day. How disturbed do you feel in the next two seconds?"

Substack stopped working for my browser in the space of a few minutes (on the same page), which I felt was due to a government conspiracy. I felt this was worth a compliment.

The note, "When you try to extrapolate from one data point" is from when 饱饱兔's video count jumped to 48. This was after I had watched and downloaded three of Xiaoyu's videos, after accidentally clicking on one of them and then checking all of her previous videos to learn that they weren't available. dropped down to ~28, from 48.

饱饱兔's livestream just ended, after three hours.

So: in my basic training in the US military, there was an exercise where teams were supposed to figure out how to travel over some ground by placing some planks, I think two of them, on short posts in the ground. Everyone had to get across an area, and the team had to restart if anyone touched the ground.

I felt the solution was obvious. The difficulty people encountered was that, after placing one plank on a post, the end of the other plank was placed on top of the first one, making it very difficult to reposition the first one.

I don't remember people observing other teams, or whether any teams completed it. I didn't think it would help the other members of my team if I yelled at them until they listened to me, so I just did nothing while they argued with each other and failed to achieve anything. For the instructors, it was a checkbox. (Sort of like the live-fire exercise, which was a checkbox that never got ticked for my training company.)

But there was another time when I did get what I wanted: sleep deprivation night. My understanding was that the instructors found some excuse to make it happen, since it was probably against the rules to stop people from sleeping and couldn't be formally scheduled. A large number of soldiers, maybe 1/3 of the total number, were supposed to be on 'fire guard' duty and rally outside of the building to be counted every hour. I insisted that I be on every shift, arguing with another recruit who acted as a leader, which even led to minor physical conflict, with my weapon — an M16 rifle with no ammunition — being wrestled out of my hands. I threatened to go to the instructor (drill sergeant) who was literally in an adjacent room (sharing the same wall) behind a closed door, and so I got my way.

It's a sort of "emperor has no clothes" situation. The bunny cannot be blamed for not being able to fly. But there are certain things even a bunny could do, if they chose to.

Finished 20 Sep 2026, 23:15, in case it matters.

Original scheduled to post at 00:00, 30 Sep 2026.

No comments:

Post a Comment