Notes:
'when people are being stupid, hard to write about what they're doing without making them look stupid'
video, deciding to stop being a good person, comments
swat team recalled
whether knowing of this idea convinces people that other people are bad; example, Las Vegas shooting
IS: willingness to die, test of this.
Crime and Punishment
songs
Quotes:
"I did not read all the People articles because of the display bug. I thought the BBC article by Mark something was better than the People article about the same event. I would do a search about why her co-star left the production if not for the display bug"
display bug after searching for "did Ariana Grande cancel a concert tour due to Covid-19?" (and after clicking on Hoang video with intention of letting it play for watchtime, after getting vp9 bug earlier today)
"This seems obvious but maybe it wasn't. The 2013 Navy Yard attack lasted long enough that Obama could have ordered people to do something different than what they actually did. Aaron Alexis might have hoped not to die"
Links:
Ariana Grande Tearfully Thanks Fans at Eternal Sunshine Tour Finale
Ariana Grande Says She’s Recovering from a ‘Deep Cut’ Before Last 2 London Shows
Ariana Grande Calls Eternal Sunshine Tour a ‘Corrective Experience’
Ariana Grande completes tour and steps back from public life
MPD Navy Yard After Action Report | mpdc
Active shooter Washington Navy Yard. : r/washingtondc
[59 views, 23 Sep 2026]Guild wars party dance - YouTube
[484k views, 19 Sep 2026]Letting Go of Being a Good Person - YouTube
"What action would be best for the world?"
There's that quote (by me), that I couldn't find when I referred to it a couple months ago: "It's hard to know how to help the world. So, it's more common to help a part of it you like."
My view is simple: if someone knows of this idea, the best thing for them to do would be to share it.
But someone might say, "what if I have objectionable characteristics?"
Sometimes, when someone has done something bad, they can convince other people that they should not be punished. In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), when the character Jen Yu (玉嬌龍, Yù Jiāolóng) returns to the place where she fought Shu Lien to prepare an antidote and convinces people not to attack her by holding up an item.
(Also, I did not know before that the character known as Jen has a name spelled like delicate dragon, and her love interest, Lo, has a name spelled like small tiger.)
Specific example: if the Islamic State knew of this idea, was it better for the world if they shared it? What if everyone in the IS who knew of it is now dead, and sharing it is no longer an option?
If someone thinks, "expecting to die is unusual. If someone experiences a change of circumstances that makes them expect to die, maybe they will act in an unexpected way." And so, four nuclear weapon states bombed the Islamic State, using warplanes that dropped conventional bombs.
(A fifth state that is widely suspected of possessing nuclear weapons did not bomb the Islamic State, but instead provided medical aid to wounded fighters from some groups affiliated with the IS.)
But what if the Islamic State's fighters only joined up because it paid really well, compared to other groups or even the official militaries of Iraq or Syria, and those males wanted money because there was a girl that they liked?
The Islamic State fought against the Yazidi ethnic group in Iraq. They asked the Yazidi people to convert to Islam, and when they refused or were hesitant, they killed the males. Later, the IS threatened to capture a dam in northern Iraq on the same river that flows through Baghdad, where the US embassy is located, and so the US started a war against the IS.
Was it best for the world for the US to start bombing the IS? Would it have better if the US had done nothing?
Faced with a choice of doing something, or doing nothing, many people find the choice of doing nothing to be more attractive. But they can simultaneously feel that the choice of doing something would be more moral: they might choose to do nothing simply because they think that it could be illegal for them to do something, even if that action seems to help other people. Relevant videos:
Guy Who Doesn't Understand the Trolley Problem
oh rats it’s the trolley problem
the trolley problem is easy, actually
Suppose that the US had done nothing. Just like Russia did nothing about the situation in Ukraine, which I will not attempt to imply was a good or bad choice, from 2014 until 2022. If it was, instead, the US that avoided attacking the IS from 2014 until 2022, would that matter?
Special characteristics of the 2013 Washington Navy Yard shooting: the FBI released security camera footage of the perpetrator seeing people who were running past a distant corridor intersection to leave the building, but avoiding them rather than moving towards them to shoot them. The FBI did not say why it released this footage; I think it was to let me know of this unusual characteristic. And second, the messages that Aaron Alexis wrote on the shotgun he used in the attack. Out of the four messages, at the moment I remember "My ELF weapon", and "better off this way".
Driven to commit a suicidal attack? Or preferring the small chance that he would survive the events, over an even smaller chance that he would have a happy life if he did not do it? If he was concerned about whether other people thought he was acting in the way that would be best for him, is it consistent with an explanation that he thought that the people he shot deserved to die because they were evil?
The Las Vegas shooting: again, it seems possible that the perpetrator hoped to live. The team that breached the wall of his room did not make any attempts to communicate with him, during the long period (about an hour) when he was not firing at the people outside.
I guess we could circle back to the Islamic State. Any serious attempts to change what the IS did through conversation? Countries like the US were upset when the IS started executing their citizens. Did they ever try to apologize for their military strikes on the IS that prompted this retaliation?
Or did they just act like teams in a video game or something, that just kill each other without attempting to talk?
Douyin user 9玥、@199966a went from 39 to 17 videos, and her second account 睡够了嘛👿 @60926178257 went from 44 to 3 videos. Maybe this was all she could do. Maybe this is all I can do. I could say other words, but I don't know if they would change anything.
I'm not unpublishing the post that I said I would unpublish if I logged in again, because she might have made this action because of that post. If she tried something, even if it was useless, I can't ignore it and just do nothing.
Original scheduled to post at 00:01, 30 Sep 2026.
No comments:
Post a Comment